Monday, March 31, 2008

Mango Passion Rose and Durian Lime Mousse Cakes



I personally have a soft-spot for European-style mousse (fresh cream) cakes. They were my first ventures when I tried baking at home as I missed eating them after I stopped working (there were less opportunities to visit a good bakery!).

For anyone who have tried baking one of these, it is really simple as it involves baking a sponge-base cake, soaking it in some syrup/liquor and layering it with mousses. The trick is in finding a great combination - and there are lots!

I love to use the denser genoise (a French-style sponge) which is more fine-textured, and almost always there's fine liquor. Some of my best flavours are Mango Passion Rose, Durian Lime, Black Forest Cheese Mousse, Java Coffee, Choc Raspberry, and Peanut Butter Choc (above are the Mango Passion Rose and Durian Lime). These are very 'adult' cakes I must say - as the genoise base always gets a generous dousing of liquor, and the flavours are often a sophisticated combination of sweet and tangy.

Mousse cakes are finicky to transport though, as refrigeration is a must. Definite no-nos for parties, weddings or in gift boxes as these are occasions when the cake will probably be sitting at our rather warm room temperature for prolonged periods. Perfectly sophisticated for small group celebrations though!

2 comments:

cheesecakediva said...

This cake is gorgeous & looks like a beatiful rose. Did you create yhe rose all out of fruit?

sinfully yours said...

It's simple, just cut the mango into slices and arrange them overlapping in circles! A trick I learnt from Rose Levy Beranbaum of Cake Bible fame!