Monday, March 31, 2008

Fairytale Castle B'day Cake for Two Princesses


Large cakes are never my strengths - and I only mainly make them for my own family's celebrations. Nonetheless, I couldn't talk these 2 girls into switching to cupcakes, so began the challenging journey of creating this cake!

The brief was simple - pretty, pink, fairtytale-like! I think a castle would only have a fairytale feel if it is on top of a hill, so I decided to precariously tier a small castle on top of the lovely Wilton Cascade bundt shape - the perfect hill! I used rounded shapes for the castle, and soft swirls to decorate the turrets, so as to keep it magical and girly... and lots of edible sparkles and shimmer for a dreamy fairytale effect!

With some last minute ingenuity (thks to some kind suggestions from a guest at the party) - I managed to tier the castle on top of the bundt cake - on site - without dowelling. Pretty petite cupcakes topped with flowers and butterflies surround the castle, some spelling out the birthday princesses' names - Marilyn n Marissa. I particularly loved the two little handmoulded fondant bluebirds holding up the "Happy B'day" message banner! I'm such a sucker for all the glittery petal dusts - they do add magic to the cake!

Well - the final outcome was pretty good - the girls do love it! Happy Birthday princesses!

No comments: