Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Action Cartoon Cupcakes for the Boys





Oh boys will be boys, and they do want the most 'non-pretty' decorations on their birthday cupcakes - as long as it is their favourite cartoon or action character. So I took on daunting tasks earlier this year - recreating edible Spiderman and Pokemon characters!

Doing cartoon characters meant a lot of research and printing tons of cartoon pics for the pattern to be traced out. I remember having to negotiate with Mitch to select the simplest 4 Pokemon characters that were at least 'doable'!

While Spidey was all buttercream piping, Pokemon marks my first foray into a painstaking drawing technique using candy chocolate (compound choc). This is pretty sweet chocolate but allows me to create cartoon-like decorations that are fun and perfect for kids! It's always nice to discover new decorating techniques and different styles.

Now I wonder what these boys will want next year .....

No comments: